Tuesday, March 25, 2014

(10) Astro Boy 철완아톰


      "Astro Boy", created by Osamu Tezuka, used to be really popular Japanese Anime that was also imported to Korea back in old days. I remember seeing this anime on TV when I was like...less than 5 years old. I do not actually remember anything about Astro Boy back in my childhood. I was more of an audience of later anime like Sailor Moon and Pokemon.Even still, it is impossible to deny that "Astroy Boy" is one of the most impactful work in Japanese Comicbook and Anime History.

      "Astro Boy" is popular for being the very first animated series and Japan, which has started the epic history of the "Japanese Anime" that is popular worldwide now. Since "Astro Boy" is extremely well-known as the first anime in history, It was kind of surprising to figure out that it was originally a manga series. I was never a fan of the art of "Astro Boy", since I was already used to the designs of Gun-dam robots. But now, looking back at the old designs of this work, I am very impressed with the creativity of the robot designs. 

     However, what most amuses me now is that this comic book has a really well-written story and background set up. Astro Boy is not just a robot but an android that resembles human in many ways. There are also many other robots that are built to resemble human living in the world of "Astro Boy". Even though this comic book's major audiences are children, the synopsis of this work seems to communicate more to adults. "Astro Boy" talks about the depth of human emotion through the eyes of robots. In the book, Astroy Boy is described to be a hero that saves the world and love the people. However, the world that he is living in has stereotypes and mistreatment of robots. It talks about the "right" of the robots, the good and evil within humans, and the discrimination and collaboration between the robots and humans.

     After reading the original work of "Astro Boy" I was able to understand how influential this work is to every Robot-based Science Fiction works that came after (ex. I-Robot). It was nice reading this historical Manga. I also figured out that there is an re-make version of "Astro boy" called "Pluto", created by a different author named Naoki Urasawa




This recreated version of "Astro Boy" is more serious and darker than original "Astro Boy" Series. I really liked reading this manga while comparing it to the original work by Osamu Tezuka.


No comments:

Post a Comment