Sunday, April 27, 2014

(11) Bakuman 바쿠만


       I always have been planning to read "Bakuman" but never got a chance to. Even still, I have not completed the entire series yet. The reason why I was so interested in "Bakuman" was because the writer and the artist participated on this book are the same people who worked on "Death Note" one of the most popular Japanese Manga/Anime series worldwide. When I was reading "Bakuman", I was expecting similar story and art style from "Death Note" and therefore became slightly disappointed at the fact that it is more casual and comical story.

      "Bakuman" is about two middle school students cooperating to become successful as Mangaka (Manga Artist). The fact that two boys with different talent of writing and drawing are cooperating seems very similar to the story of the authors of this book. I personally admire Takeshi Obata, for his clean art style and was happy to see Moritaka Mashiro character that resembles his talent as Mangaka.

       One thing I didn't like about this Manga was that main characters are too lucky in the field of Manga Artists. It is very difficult to be successful as Manga Artist in Japan these days because there are too many talented people applying for positions. The most realistic Manga Artist figure in this comic is not the main characters but Moritaka's uncle, Nobuhiro Mashiro. Nobuhiro was a Manga Artist who once was popular with his work that was even made into anime, but he eventually loses his fame and later dies of overwork. 

      The truth about being Manga Artist is that it is very difficult to live of of just drawing Manga unless one becomes as successful as the authors of Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball, One Piece, and Naruto. Which needs good talent and luck to be achieved. I personally thought this Manga was very realistic with describing the background and steps to become Manga Artist, yet it was very unrealistic in fact that main characters were too lucky getting their chances at the field. 

No comments:

Post a Comment