I continued reading "Persepolis" since I really loved the work. the main character no longer a child. She has grown up and she is no longer with her family. Marja is now by herself in a foreign country. This is another dramatic change in her life and Marja takes it differently than before. She is no longer a child. She thinks differently and acts differently. While I thought of the character as a cute little girl in the first book, the second book makes me think of her has a girl of my age. The way she was adopting to her new environment reminded me of myself getting used to life at Ringling. It was different, therefore difficult at first. While reading the second book, I found myself agreeing the the main character a lot, but also disagreeing. While she was a little children observing what is happening around the her, this new book is about Marja changing her own life and making decision. This book is no longer about a culture and history, but more focused on individual's life and experience. First book taught me of the culture that I have never knew about, while the second book spoke to me like a college friend.
I think Persepolis is very educational. Even thought it is considered a Comic book (Graphic Novel), I felt like I was reading a very well-written Autobiography. The attractive art style helped me to be more interested in her story. The combination of word and illustration is strong. When I figured out that there is a film based on this book, I searched it and watched it right away. I am very happy to figure out that "Persepolis" is actually considered as a well-written/drawn Literature work that is respected by many people. I agree that this work is very educational and entertaining. Some people even says comic book should be now respected as an art form and a literature, and I do agree with them. (except for few works like underground comics...I want them to remain underground)

No comments:
Post a Comment